Living Room

Living Room
My Little Cottage

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Erin go Braugh!!!!

I have heard it said that, "On St. Patrick's Day everyone is Irish". This thought makes me smile! I have always loved Ireland and anything associated with being Irish (though I don't partake in the whiskey-save for some cooking or a good cup of Irish Coffee from time to time- or the Guinness-not to my taste). Sadly, however, my family history does not contain one drop of Irish blood. Mom's family is made up of good Virginia stock-Smiths and Austins with origins in England on her mother's side and Muellers and Handels (mis-spelled Hendel at Ellis Island) from Switzerland and Germany on her dad's side. My dad was born in North Carolina to parents from the Hancock family with some Welsh history on his mother's side and the Davis family with English heritage on his dad's side. Going back even further still does not reveal any Irish relatives on our family tree, not even any wayward branches. But, for today anyway, I am as Irish as any lassie born on the Emerald Isle. We will be having Corned Beef and Cabbage today, I will be listening to all of my favorite Celtic music (especially my Danny Doyle cd), the homeschool lessons will be about Ireland. This is just one of my favorite days of the entire year. Hope it is special for you, too.

Until next time, Stay Cozy,
Charlotte

2 comments:

Tina said...

Enjoy your St. Patty's day
T

Janet, said...

I'm a little late with my post, but I'm Scotch-Irish, does that count. My ancestors have been here since the 1700s. I love Irish music.