Living Room

Living Room
My Little Cottage

Monday, January 31, 2011

Return to My Cozy Posts: What's Cookin' Monday!


Good morning to all of my dear friends in the "Land of Blog"! I am going to try my level BEST to return to my regular posts here. I truly do miss getting on here and posting, I am still kind of having a bit of trouble getting words to come. I am afraid part of me is still clinging to my little "safe~shell" but I trying to bust out of there and get back to my normal writing activities. I think my blogging will do me a world of good! I miss posting recipes and decorating ideas and such. I thought I would start with my easiest post of the week: What's Cookin' Monday! I thought and thought and then I remembered a really YUMMY recipe that I had posted about this time last year over on my former Cozy Home Journal blog. It was a really easy crock pot version of one of my favorite Chinese dishes. I don't know if you could cook it in your Celebrating Home Bean Pot, but it would be worth a try! Just remember, in your Bean Pot, you will just need to layer ALL of the ingredients before baking and you will not need to stop cooking to stir. Set the oven to 325 degrees and bake for 3 hours. You can bake your frozen eggrolls in the oven right along with your Bean Pot dish during the last half-hour of baking. Either way, Bean Pot or Crock Pot, this is a really tasty dinner!


What's Cookin' Monday!

Crock Pot Chicken Chow Mein

4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts

1 Large Onion sliced in thin wedges

2Tbs Oil (your favorite) though peanut or

sesame are the traditional asian favorites

2 Cups chicken broth

2Tbs Soy Sauce

1 Rounded Tbs Corn Starch

1 12 oz Package Frozen Stir Fry Vegetables

1 can Sliced Mushrooms

1 can Sliced Water Chestnuts

First, cut the chicken breasts into thin slices and the onions into thin wedges and place both in the crock pot with the oil. Season to taste with ground pepper and garlic powder (or you can use minced garlic, if you prefer. Cook the ingredients on the highest setting for about an hour or until the chicken is cooked through. You will want to stir them at least once during their cooking. Next, pour the mixture of the chicken broth, soy sauce and corn starch over the chicken and onions and stir. Add the bag of frozen veggies, water chestnuts and the mushrooms and stir them together. Cover the crock pot and reduce to the medium setting and cook until the sauce thickens and is clear (about 2-3 hours). Serve with rice and frozen egg rolls if you wish.

I would love to see "What’s Cookin’" at your house, too. Hope this inspires you!!!

Big ((HUGS)) and Stay Cozy,
Charlotte





2 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Charlotte, good to see you! And that sounds like a delicious recipe. I am preparing to travel today so I am eating on the run, but when I get a chance, I's like to share this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Janet said...

That sounds pretty good! I might give it a try. Thanks for coming over and commenting on my February Blahs post. Since it wasn't online this month, I thought I'd put it on my blog.