Living Room

Living Room
My Little Cottage

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

The Simple Woman's Daybook; My Entry for January

For Today


 I am posting a Daybook entry for the first time in long while. I used to post once a week at one time but have gotten out of the habit and am thinking that I might try my best to post an entry at least once a month. I do not take many photos anymore; it just seems to be so tedious that I tend to leave my camera in its case. I suppose it is in direct response to my deep desire to simplify my life back to the bare basics of daily activities. Maybe I will be inspired to get in more snapshots as the months go by. 

Looking out my window

It is sunny right now here in Dunbar, WV, USA. We are supposed to get rain some time around 2:00 pm that will continue into the night time. The snow we had a few days ago has almost completely melted away. There is only a little patch still hanging on in the very shaded spots around us after yesterday's temperatures in the 40s and low 50s. 

Snow a few days ago...
I am thinking

I have been in a very melancholy mood over the past few days; feeling extremely nostalgic and longing for loved ones no longer with us. I took a little time day-before-yesterday to look through a box of old greeting cards. I felt great delight, warm and endearing emotions from reading each one. I have been so very blessed with so many loved ones around me throughout my lifetime.  

I am thankful

Oh my, for so many wonderful blessings. I was especially thankful yesterday for all of my dear Christian friends at our weekly women's Bible study. It is always such a treat to get together with them for fellowship and a chance to learn more about God's word and each other. 

One of my favorite things

The beautiful Angel filled curio given to me by my wonderful cousin when she moved last year. This is her collection of angels gathered and gifted to her all through the years. Such a special and meaningful gift and a perfect addition to our living room. 

I am creating

I will be making some miniature food for my grand-girl's doll house with her as she is coming to spend the weekend with us on Friday. We will also be making some cookies and coloring together, too. We always have such fun together! I love all of my dear grands and even more as they are growing into such special young adults! 
I am wearing

My favorite, comfy old work around the house clothes. I may change into my jeans in a bit, though.

I am reading

Lots of poetry books, Ideals magazines (from long ago) and a little devotional book that my mom gave me back in 1996 entitled Joy For the Journey. I read the day's entry each night right before falling asleep. So very comforting! 

I am hoping

That 2017 will be a year of Spiritual growth for me, the year that I finally make it back into weekly Church services on a regular basis. I have been out of congregational worship with my fellow sisters and brothers in Christ for almost 3 years now. I contribute this mostly to my social anxiety, panic attacks and my Fibromyalgia pain and lethargy. I do have a three ministers which I listen to on Sunday mornings; Brett Hickey from Let the Bible Speak, Phil Sanders of In Search of the Lord's Way and Charles Stanley of In Tough Ministries. I learn so much about our Lord's word from them all, but I am feeling a real need lately to re-connect with our local church home. 

I am learning

All over again that no man is an island and I NEED the strength, love and prayers of others in my life beyond just my immediate family members. 

In my kitchen

I am planning on making a chicken casserole for our supper tonight. I made good old Sloppy Joe sandwiches with cheese for our supper last night and served them with some healthy peas-n-carrots on the side instead of our usual french fries. We are trying to eat more veggies this year. 

In the school room

Not much going on in our homeschool life right now. My one and only student is now a senior. He is attending a class in Computor Repair and Programming at the local Technical School near our home. We still do some lessons in Social Studies, Science, Reading and Language Arts here, but his Math all takes place within the studies there. I am both sad and glad that this will be our last year of Homeschool. It seems like only yesterday that our journey began...
In my garden

We are just now beginning to plan for what we will be planting this year. I am leaning toward a few tomato plants, some large bell pepper varieties, garlic, and cucumbers. We do box and container gardening so not too much will be planted, but it is always wonderful to have those fresh veggies in the summer and some to go into the freezer for winter.

Board room

What in the world did we EVER do without Pinterest??? LOL!!! I could literally spend HOURS on there looking at and pinning so many pretty pictures onto my ever-growing number of boards! I do not post a lot of original photos on there, I am usually that person who goes through picking out lovely things to post so that I can look at them later. Today I am sharing a picture that came to my attention and is pinned on my board entitled Candy Dishes. My mother collected pretty candy dishes and loved to give them as gifts. This board contains pictures of some like the ones she had and it is so much fun to find even more pretty ones out there. Here is the picture:

Post Script

Each morning I try to greet my friends and family on FB with something pretty. One of my very favorite pages to share from is Beneath the Shadow of Thy Wings. They always post so many lovely and meaningful greetings there.  

Shared Quote 


A moment from my day


The latest addition to my home office. This picture was taken by the lady who restored it in her shop, but it now sits in the corner of my home office!!! I am using it to store art supplies and a few pieces of favorite clothing. It is a real gem!!!

Closing Notes

I have really felt challenged by posting this morning. My mind has had a good workout as I took the time to come up with the material I have shared with you all this morning. I have another blogging friend who has started posting a weekly journal entry on her blog. I may try to start doing something similar; just simple details of our weekly life. I do still love to read blogs but I am not real good at adding comments as my social anxiety makes me afraid of saying the wrong thing or somehow being misconstrued by the reader. I do say a prayer where they are asked for and have my blog friends on my mind very often. I hope that those who love to write journal posts will take a minute to visit Peggy at The Simple Woman  blog and get the prompts from her at The Simple Woman's Daybook Community so that you can write your own entry. A big Thank You to Peggy for continuing to provide this wonderful avenue for our blogging experience. Hope that you all have a wonderful day!

No comments: